Who can be an Au Pair?

EEA citizens – EU Europe

If you have a passport from an EEA country, i.e. European Economic Area (EEA) citizens – the 25 EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway – and Swiss nationals have the right of free movement and residence in the UK (source Home Office). This means you can be Au Pair without any restrictions on age, pocket money, duration of stay etc. For more information visit www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration


  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia (possibly some restrictions; BAPAA is still awaiting clarification as to what is required.)\
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom
  • Iceland*
  • Liechtenstein *
  • Norway *
  • Switzerland **

* These countries are in the EEA, but are not members of the European Union
** Switzerland is not in the EEA but an international treaty means that Swiss nationals have a similar right to live in the UK as EEA nationals.

Nationals of Croatia

There may be some restrictions. BAPAA is still awaiting clarification as to what is required.

Other Worldwide – with the introduction of Tier 5* Youth Mobility Scheme

The UK Au Pair scheme now comes under Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme and only nationals from the following countries are eligible to apply for visas under the scheme:

  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • Taiwan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Hong Kong


Please see the Tier 5 information on the UK government website –

Agency Directory